A last minute dinner with friends left me looking for a quick and easy dessert last week. I happened to have a couple of cake mixes on hand thanks to a recent sale so that was my easy fix. I had a carrot cake mix and a can of cream cheese frosting. I know, I know, a cake mix AND canned frosting. It's like I don't even know the name of my own blog.
Anyway, looking for a way to spruce the plain cake mix up, I found this recipe from Betty Crocker for Caramel Carrot Cake. I was pleasantly surprised how nicely it turned out considering it wasn't homemade! I did things just a teeny bit differently than they did...
Caramel Carrot Cake
1 box carrot cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 jar caramel topping
- 1 container cream cheese frosting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray pan. (The BC recipe has you make it as a 9x13 cake, I made mine in two circle cake pans so I could stack them all pretty-like.)
- Mix together the cake mix, water, butter and eggs. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool. The BC recipe has quite a few steps listed at this point. I just poked a few holes in the cakes, covered each layer in caramel, stacked them on top of each other and covered in frosting. Easy! I think next time I will put some frosting in between the middle layer as well.
- This is just luscious with a hot cup of coffee!
- Linked to: